Building and Scaling an Effective Incident Response Program
Building an effective incident response capability reduces the impact from incidents on customers and internal stakeholders while laying a foundation for learning and more reliable systems. Join moderator Courtney Nash and incident expert Brent Chapman for this interactive presentation as Brent shares his practical insights, lessons learned, and best practices from inside and outside the tech industry for building and scaling your incident response program.
Register now to learn:
- Key learning from other emergency response organizations, such as fire departments, that can be applied to technology incidents
- How incident response fits into an overall incident management program, along with preparation for and learning from incidents
- The incident response timeline from a customer and organization perspective
- The roles and responsibilities for effective incident response
- Best practices for effective incident response
- Best practices for standardizing incident response capability across your organization, and scaling as your organization evolves
May 9, 2023 at 9 am PT
Live conversation on Zoom.
Principal & Owner · Great Circle Associates
Brent Chapman is an expert in IT emergency management and has a background in IT infrastructure, site reliability engineering, and public safety emergency management. As the leader of Slack’s incident response program, he designed and built the company’s incident management capabilities; helped prevent, prepare for, respond to, and learn from incidents; and shared Slack’s incident management story publicly. At Google, Brent convinced senior management to standardize incident management practices and created the Incident Management at Google (IMAG) system. Brent brings a unique perspective to his work, with experience as an air search and rescue pilot and incident commander, emergency dispatcher and dispatch supervisor for major art & music festivals, and Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) member and instructor. He has worked with many tech companies, spoken at conferences worldwide, and co-authored the O’Reilly book Building Internet Firewalls.
Internet Incident Librarian · Verica
Courtney Nash is a researcher focused on system safety and failures in complex socio-technical systems. An erstwhile cognitive neuroscientist, she has always been fascinated by how people learn, and the ways memory influences how they solve problems. Over the past two decades, she’s held a variety of editorial, program management, research, and management roles at Holloway, Fastly, O’Reilly Media, Microsoft, and Amazon. She lives in the mountains where she skis, rides bikes, and herds dogs and kids.