Senior Software Engineer at Verica
Verica is seeking a skilled and empathetic engineer with deep Kubernetes experience to join our team in developing Kubernetes Continuous Verification capabilities for our platform. Verica is a company that values the human as much as it values resilient software, demonstrated by 100 percent health insurance premium coverage, mandatory PTO and a fully remote team.
Day to day, Vericans collaborate, architect, and deploy standalone Kubernetes verifications in Go which empower our users to discover the edges of their systems and find capabilities which may become brittle under load.
- Engineer the most sophisticated module for uncovering systemic availability, security, and management vulnerabilities in Kubernetes:
- Uncover systemic weakness in Kubernetes infrastructure and applications running on top of it
- Enhance the Continuous Verification Platform to integrate with Kubernetes to support controlled experimentation of services deployed on Kubernetes to exercise these weaknesses
- Enhance the Kubernetes module from both an operational and development perspective allowing you to provide data- and experience-driven guidance regarding:
- Common Kubernetes infrastructure and networking configurations and application design patterns
- Common security and availability pitfalls in Kubernetes platform and applications
- Canonical answers to questions regarding the Kubernetes ecosystem and k8s app development
- Containers and container networking
- How engineers using Kubernetes approach problem solving
- Collaborate with the team to deliver consistent, incremental improvements to the product
- Promote psychological safety:
- Maintain an inclusive environment
- Call out anti-inclusive behavior so it can be corrected
- Engineer quality code worthy of top-tier enterprise deployment at a competitive pace
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team to deliver consistent, incremental improvements to our product
- Maintain alignment toward the product vision, which is allowing enterprise customers to understand and improve their complex systems by empirically defining and validating their safety margins in production
- Quickly surface obstacles to execution, gaps in understanding, and other symptoms of poor alignment
- Contextualize and communicate engineering decisions to the team and larger organization, mentor and knowledge share with the team
Work Hours & Benefits:
This is a full time, salaried position developing code. Verica is fully remote and distributed, spanning all U.S. time zones. This necessitates individuals taking responsibility for their working hours and broadcasting availability via Google calendar working hours or similar means.
Verica values our employees health and well-being by covering all medical, vision and dental healthcare premiums for the employee and their dependents—no healthcare withholdings from employee’s pay. Mandatory minimum PTO (1 week quarterly), workstation/home office stipend, parental leave and stock options are some of our other benefits.
Senior Software Engineer Qualifications/Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in developing software against the Kubernetes API and/or developing Kubernetes components allowing you to:
- Write controllers (operators) that reconcile CRDs
- Control and observe a Kubernetes cluster programmatically
- Engineering proficiency in Golang and Docker
- Talented in communicating complex ideas and concepts in a simple and concise manner
- Demonstrated ability to apply SOLID design principles and object-oriented paradigms
- Ability to identify and improve non-performant code and systems
- Demonstrated ability designing and interacting with complex persisted data models
- Experience with micro-services and distributed architectures
- Working knowledge of infrastructure-as-code architectures and automation
- Strong software architectural skills with demonstrated ability to identify and analyze all trade-offs in every solution to determine a simple path forward
How do we know when this person is successful?
- Direct teammates consider this person to be a professional and skilled asset to the team. [Peer feedback is the most effective signal we have for individual contributor performance]
- We can pull this person aside at any time and ask them how their work contributes to the C-level’s vision, and it is clear that their current work is the highest priority in that narrative
- This person contributes directly and incontrovertibly to the success of the Kubernetes module
- This person’s manager concludes that this person’s contribution to feature velocity proceeds at a competitive pace and code quality is on par with top tier enterprise deployment